Copyright 2016 © drafts and brews byBernadette D. Sueno
Design by Dzignine
Monday, December 17, 2007

Nora Roberts -- Jewels of the Sun

JEWELS OF THE SUN - Nora Roberts 

http://ebooks-imgs.connect.com/product/400/000/000/000/000/039/579/400000000000000039579_s4.jpg


"Don't you believe that heart recognizes heart?"

Poetry doesn't most usually spring from joy, does it, but from sorrows."


I feel attracted to the writing. That's an odd term to use, but it fits. Writing attracts me, the mystery of it, the way words fit together on a page to make an image or a point or just to be there, sounding. Seeing my own words on the page is thrilling. There's a wonderful kind of conceit in reading them, knowing they're mine. Part of that terrifies me because it's so incredibly exciting. 


"Words are important, to everyone. When they're not said, they leave holes." Deep, dark holes... where doubts and failures breed. Unsaid words were as painful as slaps.


Magic is. But its power is nothing beside love.


They never see what you are. They see a reflection of their own perception. Whore or angel, mother or child. Depending on their view, they're compelled to protect or conquer or exploit. Or you're a convenience. Easily discarded. (how men see women)


"It's a kind of comfort to know love can last."

"Love lasts easy as long as there's yearning. Put the two of them together, and it's just as like they'd be sniping and snarling at each other in six months' time."


"You've just never had a man courageous enough to take a good hold of your heart."

"And I don't intend to ever give one the chance. Holding theirs keeps you on top of things. Let them get a grip on yours, and you're sunk."


"I think I'd like to be in love. Even if it hurt. You couldn't feel ordinary if you were in love, could you?" "No, but you can surely feel stupid"

 Why is it you think you'll live forever and why do you want to, I'd like to know, when you deny yourselves so many of the basic pleasures in life?"


The point is, he left me, and his leaving crushed me. Maybe not my heart, but my pride and my ego, and what difference does it make? They're all part of me.


She wanted, finally, to reach for what she wanted to know, for what she'd never dared expect from herself. Fail or succeed, to have the freedom of the experience

They said it would just happen, and it did. I guess the best things do.


"Why isn't love enough?"
"It is, when it is."


"Why are you speaking in riddles?""Because until you solve it yourself, it doesn't do any good to be told. And when you do solve it, you don't need to be told."


"Heed this -- a single choice can build destinies or destroy them. Choose well."


He would treasure and tend, as he did all the things he loved


To be needed was such a miracle, so much more important than sense and modesty.


If I was thinking of marriage, I'd haul the man before the priest, say the words and be done with it. All this fancy work -- dresses and flowers and just which song needs to be played just when. Months in the making for one single day, for a dress that will never be worn again, flowers that will fade and wither, and songs you could sing any damn time.And the cost of it all is sinful."

"That one single day is the start of a life, and worth every minute of time and every penny that goes into it."


It helped a great deal to vent to friends. It took the sharpest edge off her temper, strengthened her resolve, and gave her the satisfaction of having two other women outraged at Aidan's behavior.


It was easier to tell herself she wasn't very good at something. Safer to believe she wasn't clever or quick. Because if you had confidence enough to try something, you had to have courage enough to fail.


Love, even when pledged, isn't enough.
"Then what the devil is?""It's a word that still sticks a bit in my throat. It's called compromise


Words have magic. Spells and curses. Some of them, the best of them, once said change everything.

 Dreams took risks and courage.
 

There was never one before, though I wanted there to be, tried to make myself into someone so that there would be, because I was afraid to be alone. Now I've learned how to be alone, and trust myself, to like myself. I won't be coming to you weak and malleable and willing to always do what I'm told so as not to make trouble."

kaigachi is a conjugation of the Japanese term "kigaicha" or crazy. It roughly translates as "crazy about something."

"One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light but by making the darkness conscious." - C.Jung

Proudly Pinay!

Proudly Pinay!
Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Checker

But you can always share and cite.
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Non-commercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.