Copyright 2016 © drafts and brews byBernadette D. Sueno
Design by Dzignine
Friday, December 03, 2010

HOME is 2 hours away


"...and you commute everyday?!"

It's always what people say when they learn that I live in the Metro South, two hours away from where I work. And to answer the question, yes, I do commute everday. This makes my travel time to a total of 4-5 hours everyday - hours that I can put to better use sleeping, doing a hobby, or a side job, etc. Yet I put up with it. It is a choice I do not regret.

I used to board in a place near the office. I lasted for six months. Yes, it saved me time. It also saved me money. But then even with constant updates through the mobile phone, I became quite detached from the experiences of my family. It felt like being an outsider.

I myself was unsure of my own decision when I moved back home. I forgot all doubts however, as soon as I set foot at home and was greeted by the chaos and noise of my siblings. It is the same thing everyday. There is always someone to greet you with a kiss or a warm hug, and an inquiry as to whether you have eaten yet. What will follow after is an account of the latest news in the family - a funny incident, a quarrel, something to do with school, bills that have arrived... and so on.
 
I do commute everyday. I get so tired sometimes, I simply want to crawl up the always-broken escalator at my end of the MRT going to Taft. At times, I get to think productively while in transit. Sometimes I daydream. Most often, I just sleep. And then, two jeepneys and a tricycle ride later, I come home and is greeted by the chubby arms of my two-year old niece giving me a fierce hug. "Tita... 'ubong?," she'd ask. It's usually big, white marshmallows but even if it's just my own lip balm or ballpen, she'd still bounce happily. This alone had already made my two-hour trip so much worth the while. I'd travel a thousand miles just for this kind of love. :D
kaigachi is a conjugation of the Japanese term "kigaicha" or crazy. It roughly translates as "crazy about something."

"One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light but by making the darkness conscious." - C.Jung

Proudly Pinay!

Proudly Pinay!
Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Checker

But you can always share and cite.
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Non-commercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.