Copyright 2016 © drafts and brews byBernadette D. Sueno
Design by Dzignine
Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Librarian on the rebound


Advice to patrons: Don't re-shelve books. Just put them on the table.
It was my second day as an academic librarian temporarily manning the Reference section for this southern University. I returned to the profession after a year's total of becoming a bum, drifting off to foreign shores, and trying for the corporate life. I found that I missed this work very much and that yes, indeed this is a calling, not just a job.

For this current assignment, it will be quite a challenge dealing with students who obviously are not aware about the importance of being responsible for their library. My first day was spent re-arranging the book collection of the General Reference section. At first I thought it was easy because the collection itself was just size-able enough. But there I was, lugging heavy encyclopedia, atlases, and other deadly books all over the place for more than 3 hours after realizing that I could not stomach having a section which can make even a librarian dizzy with the disarray. It was so hard for me to shelf-read, I could not imagine some poor dazed student being able to find what book he or she was supposed to find in that chaos.

It was said that it has been some time since someone was able to oversee the said section. Still, it just
Trash are meant for trash cans, not behind shelves.
occurred to me that indeed, it is not the big things that define how great a library is. It is the little, everyday things that matter - a good library collection that is well-maintained everyday by proactive librarians so that users are sure to easily find what they need.

As I broke a sweat this afternoon, this time doing a major re-organizing of the bound journals, I really hoped in my heart that the students of EnggLib do realize how very fortunate they are for both the resources and the kind and quality of services offered to them, and that they show their appreciation by maximizing the use of resources made available for them, and by taking care of their libraries.
kaigachi is a conjugation of the Japanese term "kigaicha" or crazy. It roughly translates as "crazy about something."

"One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light but by making the darkness conscious." - C.Jung

Proudly Pinay!

Proudly Pinay!
Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Checker

But you can always share and cite.
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Non-commercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.